Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk of Infection?
Apr 13, 2006

Hi,

I am really worried about stuff. If you answer I will make a substantial donation to the Robert James Frascino Aids Foundation.

A few months ago I had sex with a prostitute (I used a condom) and about thirty days later I had some symptoms.

These were profuse runny nose, sore throat, phlegmy cough and fatigue. I also had a mouth ulcer.

Most of the symptoms lasted about five days, although the cough lingered a little, and the ulcer took a few days longer to clear up as well. The symptoms happened mid-February, around the 16th - 20th.

No obvious rash - no obvious swellings - albeit an itchy jawline.

What is my risk of being infected with HIV? Should I be tested?

Please answer - since then I have been really stressed and afraid.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Protected" sex is indeed protected if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. That's why we call it "protected," right? HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way! No how!

"Symptoms" do not equal HIV disease. Your particular symptoms are not worrisome for HIV ARS.

What is your risk of being infected with HIV? Essentially nonexistent.

Should you be tested? The primary reason for you to be tested would be to calm your unwarranted worries! I do not feel it is warranted or necessary from an HIV-diagnostic standpoint, as I'm quite confident you did not acquire HIV form the mattress mambo with the naughty lady of Shady Lane. However, testing may well be the most effective and efficient way for you to once and for all put your fears to rest.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I'm sending you my very best good-luck/good-health karma, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Am I or was I a Worried Well?
Next
A story and a question from Saudi Arabia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.