Risk of Infection?

I am really worried about stuff. If you answer I will make a substantial donation to the Robert James Frascino Aids Foundation.

A few months ago I had sex with a prostitute (I used a condom) and about thirty days later I had some symptoms.

These were profuse runny nose, sore throat, phlegmy cough and fatigue. I also had a mouth ulcer.

Most of the symptoms lasted about five days, although the cough lingered a little, and the ulcer took a few days longer to clear up as well. The symptoms happened mid-February, around the 16th - 20th.

No obvious rash - no obvious swellings - albeit an itchy jawline.

What is my risk of being infected with HIV? Should I be tested?

Please answer - since then I have been really stressed and afraid.

"Protected" sex is indeed protected if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. That's why we call it "protected," right? HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way! No how!

"Symptoms" do not equal HIV disease. Your particular symptoms are not worrisome for HIV ARS.

What is your risk of being infected with HIV? Essentially nonexistent.

Should you be tested? The primary reason for you to be tested would be to calm your unwarranted worries! I do not feel it is warranted or necessary from an HIV-diagnostic standpoint, as I'm quite confident you did not acquire HIV form the mattress mambo with the naughty lady of Shady Lane. However, testing may well be the most effective and efficient way for you to once and for all put your fears to rest.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I'm sending you my very best good-luck/good-health karma, OK?

Am I or was I a Worried Well?
A story and a question from Saudi Arabia