Doctors are HIV TOO

Doctor's have HIV too! My husband is living proof, as well as yourself. This disease is affecting everyone, including healthcare workers. Not sure how he got it but maybe a splash of blood or a cut during an emergency room gun shot wound. Well what I'm trying to say is that I think it is very hard for doctor's because they have to keep HIV as confidential as possible. Is there any statistic on how many doctor's get HIV from occuptaional injuries? I pray everyday for a cure.No one deserves this type of discrimination. Not another illness is looked at with such negativity. Hopefully some scientist that wants to win the noble prize will figure this puzzle and save many people from this. It won't be a drug company -they're just making too much money. His sustiva and truvada costs me $1200.00 a month. His procrit is $2000.00 a month. Thanks for listening.

Because of the stigma associated with being HIV-positive, the illness is thought to be underreported in health care workers, including physicians. Consequently, accurate statistics are difficult to obtain and verify. I'll reprint a short article below that discusses surveillance statistics reported to the CDC through 2000.

As for your statement, "No one deserves this type of discrimination," I would modify it to say, "No one deserves discrimination based on age, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion or illness!" Period!

I'm assuming you are paying for your husband's medications, because you don't want your insurance company to know he's HIV positive, correct? It is indeed an unfortunate state of affairs when we have to hide illness (or sexual orientation or religion or whatever) due to fear of discrimination from employers, friends, family or community. Only through increased HIV/AIDS awareness and education (and anti-discrimination laws) can we hope to overcome this fear which is all-to-common legitimate.

Good luck to both you and your husband. Let's get through this together, OK?

CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION Surveillance of Health Care Workers with HIV/AIDS October 2001 Of the adults reported with AIDS in the United States through December 31, 2000, 23,047 had been employed in health care. These cases represented 5.1 percent of the 453,462 AIDS cases reported to CDC for whom occupational information was known (information on employment in the health care setting was missing for 312,097 reported AIDS cases). The type of job is known for 21,634 (94%) of the 23,047 reported health care workers with AIDS. The specific occupations are as follows: 1,730 physicians, 114 surgeons, 5,026 nurses, 479 dental workers, 440 paramedics, 3,014 technicians, 1,032 therapists, and 5,105 health aides. The remainder are maintenance workers, administrative staff, etc. Overall, 73% of the health care workers with AIDS, including 1,360 physicians, 87 surgeons, 3,726 nurses, 376 dental workers, and 310 paramedics, are reported to have died. CDC is aware of 57 health care workers in the United States who have been documented as having seroconverted to HIV following occupational exposures. Twenty-five have developed AIDS. These individuals who seroconverted include 19 laboratory workers (16 of whom were clinical laboratory workers), 24 nurses, 6 physicians, 2 surgical technicians, 1 dialysis technician, 1 respiratory therapist, 1 health aide, 1 embalmer/morgue technician, and 2 housekeepers/maintenance workers. The exposures were as follows: 48 had percutaneous (puncture/cut injury) exposure, 5 had mucocutaneous (mucous membrane and/or skin) exposure, 2 had both percutaneous and mucocutaneous exposure, and 2 had an unknown route of exposure. Forty-nine health care workers were exposed to HIV-infected blood, 3 to concentrated virus in a laboratory, 1 to visibly bloody fluid, and 4 to an unspecified fluid. CDC is also aware of 138 other cases of HIV infection or AIDS among health care workers who have not reported other risk factors for HIV infection and who report a history of occupational exposure to blood, body fluids, or HIV-infected laboratory material, but for whom seroconversion after exposure was not documented. The number of these workers who acquired their infection through occupational exposures is unknown. For information about prevention of occupational transmission, see the CDC fact sheet titled "Preventing Occupational HIV Transmission to Healthcare Personnel," September 2001.

For More Information CDC National AIDS Hotline: 1.800.232.4636 CDC National Prevention Information Network: P.O. Box 6003 Rockville, Maryland 20849-6003 1-800-458-5231 Internet Resources: NCHSTP: http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/nchstp.html DHAP: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv NPIN: http://www.cdcnpin.org

je promet une donnation de 500 dollar si vous me repondez dr bob
Doubting Republican.