Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I help him?
Apr 11, 2006

Dear Dr. Frascino, here is Anja,30 years old,from Germany. My husband is in a very difficult situation. I love him, I want to help him, but I am on the end of my patience. He is sure to be infected. After a hiv-risk he had done repeatedly hiv-tests(elisa hiv1 and hiv2) about 20 months and repeatedly pcr-dna-tests(I dont know-3or 4 tests). But he has pain and skin problems.(he mean hiv-symptoms) I believe him, but the doctors can not found a malady.It is a disaster.He can not accept the test results in the light of his symptoms.Dr. Frascino, I have read in your archive, often you say in such situations, the patient should see a psychologist.I have 2 questions: Would you say a psychotherapie is a chance for him? And would you say hiv is ruled out with his tests about the long time? I had a long time patience with him, we payed a lot of money for tests(pcr and other bloodwork), but the situation is not better.Have you experience with such cases? What can I do? I love him, his two children love him, but he need help.What would you say-an hiv-expert or an psychologist? Please say your opinion. Thank you very much. Anja

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Anja,

If your husband has had repeated HIV-1 and HIV-2 tests and three or four PCR-DNA tests, all of which have been negative out to 20 months, there is absolutely no doubt that he is HIV-negative. Whatever is causing his symptoms, it certainly is not HIV. No way. No how.

Have we had experience with such cases? Oh my yes! Just take a read through the archives of this forum and you'll find many cases very similar to your husband's. Would I recommend counseling for him? Absolutely! Depending on the degree of his irrational fear of HIV, he may need a psychiatrist to help him confront and cope with his unwarranted anxieties. There is no doubt your husband has a significant problem. It's just not HIV! Would I recommend more HIV tests? No, absolutely not.

Encourage your husband to review the information in the archives of this forum. There he can read many testimonials that hopefully he will find both enlightening and encouraging. He needs to stop chasing an illness he could not possibly have and instead begin focusing on his anxiety and irrational fears, problems which are very real indeed.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please advice
Next
je promet une donnation de 500 dollar si vous me repondez dr bob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.