Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Urine Test??
Apr 11, 2006

Hey Dr. Bob...I have a question about the HIV Urine Test....Is it as accurte as the other test....?

Two years ago I was drugged and taken advantage of...The guy had anal sex with me without a condom...I dont know if he climaxed in me...I'm unsure...The next day I was so angry at what this guy did I asked him if he had anything...He said I had nothing to worry about...I was to ashammed to go to anyone about it...Too this day it has frightend me so much...I was tested with a urine test at 5 1/2 months after possible exposure...It was NEG...But before my test I started to get swollen lymph nodes in my groin, inner thighs and a couple in my neck....I still have them to this day and its been two years...I feel great just very worried and wonder if I should test again...??I dont know if I could go through it all over...

Thanks for all that you do...:)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Calypte HIV-1 Urine EIA" is an FDA-approved screening HIV test. It is administered only by physicians, and a positive result requires confirmation by standard HIV blood tests (Western Blot) before it is deemed definitively positive. The sensitivity of the test is 99%; specificity is 94%. If you had this test and it was negative at 5.5 months, then you are conclusively HIV negative and there is no need for further testing.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Sound Mind And Tesing!!
Next
IM Back

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.