Am I Just Kidding Myself?

I'm on Viread, Epivir and Viramune. Undetectable (occasional blips) for 4 years. Gilead came out and said that two of my drugs are promising as a preventative measure in Monkeys ( I know I'm not a monkey!). Well,,,,, this study is giving me a sense of "fuck it.... I can Bareback now" (no pun intended)...............but wanted to ask the big question: With your wizard like knowledge how susceptible would I be to a "superinfection" or another strain of HIV messing me up? OR is it just not known? OR am I just being stupid again- kidding myself again? What are my real, statistical risks? I've been reading so much about "sero sorting" and I don't think these guys are "blowing it"? are they???

Ten points for sexual innuendo and double entendre!

As for monkeying around commando while on antivirals, the verdict is still out. What we know is that Truvada (Viread + Emtriva) protected six macaques from an HIV challenge. Human trials using Truvada as PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) are underway. These studies are evaluating the safety and efficacy of using Truvada in HIV-negative folks at increased risk for HIV infection, not HIV+ folks at risk of superinfection.

Is superinfection a possibility while on HAART? Yes, although this appears to be a rare occurrence, the risk does appear to be real. We don't have firm statistics or even statistical estimates for this level of risk, as superinfections are difficult to document and rare in number.

I'm not really worried about sero-sorters or anyone else "blowing it," but I certainly don't want to see anyone f**king up a good thing (such as an excellent response to HAART).

I should also mention one other risk: ungloved love also potentially exposes the participants to other STDs, some of which can be very nasty and many of which can cause the HIV viral load to rise.

Stay tuned to this site. We'll keep you posted on the prophylactic use of antiretrovirals as the PrEP story unfolds.

Stay safe. Stay well.

vibrator
Am I infected?