Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

USA, you should be proud of doctor Robert Frascino and follow his example. a man of honour.
Apr 8, 2006

Doctor robert:

I want to tell you that you are an inspiration for all the people in the world with AIDS. You chose your path and instead of being selfish and turn only to you, you chose to help the others, you are truly an example to follow. Sorry for my English I write you from Barcelona,spain, I am a school teacher but I always tell my students about importance of preventing AIDS and the importance of helping the others and give a little bit of what we have received from god.

I read your posts all the days. I also organized a brigade of my students and I take them every 15 days to help in a clinic in which they have AIDS patients and other terminal patients but most of them have AIDS:

They often ask me questions about transmission and they are sometimes concerned about the contact they have with the patients, because sometimes they cry on their shoulders, sometimes they have to hug them, I always tell them that casual contact is not a way of transmission as you say in all of your posts. They ask me a lot and I always answer according to your responses from this web page. I only want to say that in one point I do not know what to answer them and the responses I have seen in the site do not explain why the answers are in that sense: they often ask me their concern about going to the bathroom in the clinic in which we help, they say and I have red it that, feces contain AIDS, and also I know that terminal patients defecate with blood in their feces.

What my students often ask me is what if they have cuts on their back parts of their body ( near the anus or thebutt (sorry I do not know how to say it in a formal way jaja), or what if they have hemorrhoids that bleed every time they go to the bathroom ( not so rare due to the lowest amount of fibers consumed in spain) and in the cases described a splash with some blood or feces (which will not be rare) comes in direct contact with blood of my students. I always tell them not to worry because you always say in your posts that there is absolutely no risk in contracting AIDS in public bathrooms, expect having unprotected sex in bathrooms (that s what I say to them) but I don t know why you cannot be infected via the situations that I described ( I am myself not very convinced that you cannot get AIDS by sharing a bathroom with an infected person.) I also saw a post written in 1997 and anwered by Mr krull in which a women asks if you can get aids by getting a direct splash in a bathroom where a previous women left some blood from her period and Mr krull answered that if blood and blood comes in a direct contact anything is possible. However he told the women that there is no case registered of getting AIDS that way.

So to summarize all of the foregoing mentioned I only want to know why you cannot get AIDS by the situations I describe previously to be able to explain my students ( as you say that you cannot get AIDS by using public bathroom), and also does AIDS survive well in the water?, like I said for example in a public bathroom. (I know it does not survive well in the air). I also want to thank you for the time you are taking from reading this questions and I want to say to you that I am organizing a fund raising and will donate part of it to your cause. I promise you that because I am one of your biggest fans, they way you treat your forum with humor and your patience to answer questions is admirable, I admire you a lot.

José. Barcelona, spain.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hola José from Barcelona,

Thank you for your kind comments.

To answer your question, HIV does not live very long at all outside the body, whether in air, water or public toilets. If an HIV+ patient did have blood in his/her feces, it would instantly be diluted in the toilet bowl and also not survive outside the body. Consequently the chance of getting fresh HIV-infected blood into a freshly bleeding wound via backsplash or whatever would be so remote as to be essentially nonexistent. We have been closely monitoring the HIV/AIDS pandemic for 25 years and there has never been a case of HIV transmission via this route.

It's certainly appropriate to advise your students to avoid contact with infected bodily fluids (blood, semen, cervical secretions, etc.), but they should not be concerned about using the restroom, even if they get backsplashed and have a hemorrhoid or whatever. Also, you can remind them there is no risk from some fluids, such as sweat and tears. You can find a wealth of information on how HIV is and is not transmitted on this Web site and its related links. Perhaps printing out some of this material for your kids might help. I'm delighted you have taken the initiative to organize these volunteer trips to the clinic. The lessons your students are learning there are invaluable. You and your students are to be commended and have my heartfelt thanks for demonstrating compassion to those in need.

Dr. Bob

Previous
hiv
Next
Thanks Dr. Bob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.