Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

retitled: I am really trying to be safe: this info will be really helpful
Apr 8, 2006

hi guys, I have made a donation and will make more because i love this site - please respond-im pretty concerned

i am aware that removing a condom and getting some vaginal secretions possibly in contact with the head urethra etc is a negligable risk because the expose is so limited

but what if the condom is *bloody* and you remove it wrong. what if BLOOD comes in contact with transmittable areas on the head of the penis/urethra or what if the blood on your surrounding pelvic area touches your penis head-urethra right after you remove the condom

im pretty concerned because blood seems more dangerous than vaginal secretions

thanks so much -j

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello J,

The bottom line is that if HIV-infected bodily fluids, be they blood or cervical secretions, get into the urethra in high enough concentrations by any means, there would be a potential risk for HIV transmission. If someone feels they have placed themselves at risk, an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark would be warranted. It really is just that simple.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Francisco from LA
Next
urine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.