HIV wears Prada

Dr. Frascino,

I have been faithfully coming to this site for the past month, trying to get up the nerve to get an HIV test. While I have never been promiscuous, I know the risk that I put myself in each and every time I had unprotected sex in the past. I am a college-educated, professional, heterosexual female. I've never used drugs, abused alcohol, or voted republican. Unfortunately, I live in a large city in Europe where most of the anonymous HIV testing centers are ran by the Government and located in dilapidated buildings; which only serves to add to the ominous mood.

I finally got up the nerve to drive downtown to the testing facility and circled the block almost 10 times before leaving. What I saw were kids, adults, men, women, and those in between, and I was afraid to get out of the car. My perception was that every one of these persons sitting on the sidewalk waiting for the testing center to open HAD to be HIV +. I wear suits to work and drive a BMW - - why the hell was I worried about HIV? The truth is, one night I was out with my girlfriends at an upscale bar. I had one too many glasses (or bottles) of Prosceco, blacked out, and woke up not remember the guy I had left the bar with that night. Last week, I finally got up the nerve to walk into the clinic and get tested and I was ashamed. The people in this building were kind, helpful, and encouraging. Everyone, from the volunteer staff to the patients, went out of their way to reassure me that even if the test came back positive, I would learn to live again. As luck, fate, karma, God, would have it, I am negative.

I just wanted to write and let you know that this experience has changed my life. I know that the outcome could have been worse, because HIV does not discriminate. Since I spent countless hours on the internet researching HIV, I am looking for some way I can pay back the community that helped me in my time of need and educate others like myself about the risks and preventative measures for HIV.

Thank you for all that you do; you are a true inspiration to your profession and to the human race!

Changed Forever but still wearing Prada

Having just returned form participating in an HIV conference, I too happen to be wearing Prada at the moment! Thank you for taking time to write in and share your story. Congratulations on your negative test! WOO-HOO!

I'm also delighted the experience has changed your life and that you plan to help with HIV/AIDS awareness, education and prevention. That's a wonderful way to rack up some excellent cosmic karma.

Stay safe. Stay well.

bachelor party gone bad
HAPPY WINDOW PERIOD please post!!