Contact with Newborns

I have a new granddaughter born 4 days ago. My daughter-in-law new that I was Poz and it had never seemed to be an issue. I noticed when in the hospital that she seemed very nervous when I held the baby, but did not think much about it. There have been excuses the last 3 days about being tired etc for not coming over to see the baby. Now I find out from my son that she is afraid that the baby might contact HIV. What should I say or do to help her know that this is horrible thinking.

I would suggest you enlist the help of your son to address this all-to-common problem. With your daughter-in-law present have him discuss her concerns with their pediatrician. That should calm the situation down considerably. In addition, acknowledge your daughter-in-law's concerns with both your son and daughter-in-law present. Invite them to come to your next doctor's visit with your HIV specialist to further address any worries they may have. There is no doubt your daughter-in-law's fears are completely irrational (and unintentionally hurtful to you). Most irrationality stems from ignorance. Consequently I'd suggest, as a first course of action, that you, with the help of both her pediatrician and your HIV specialist, try to enlighten her with the fact that HIV is not transmitted via casual contact.

Congratulations on your new grandbaby!

Legal action against HIV+ve person
Should I get PEP ? It's been 24 hours...