The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Contact with Newborns

Apr 5, 2006

I have a new granddaughter born 4 days ago. My daughter-in-law new that I was Poz and it had never seemed to be an issue. I noticed when in the hospital that she seemed very nervous when I held the baby, but did not think much about it. There have been excuses the last 3 days about being tired etc for not coming over to see the baby. Now I find out from my son that she is afraid that the baby might contact HIV. What should I say or do to help her know that this is horrible thinking.

Response from Dr. Frascino


I would suggest you enlist the help of your son to address this all-to-common problem. With your daughter-in-law present have him discuss her concerns with their pediatrician. That should calm the situation down considerably. In addition, acknowledge your daughter-in-law's concerns with both your son and daughter-in-law present. Invite them to come to your next doctor's visit with your HIV specialist to further address any worries they may have. There is no doubt your daughter-in-law's fears are completely irrational (and unintentionally hurtful to you). Most irrationality stems from ignorance. Consequently I'd suggest, as a first course of action, that you, with the help of both her pediatrician and your HIV specialist, try to enlighten her with the fact that HIV is not transmitted via casual contact.

Congratulations on your new grandbaby!

Dr. Bob

Legal action against HIV+ve person
Should I get PEP ? It's been 24 hours...

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint