Unprotected Receptive Oral Sex w/Ejaculation

Hello Dr. Frascino:

2 weeks ago I gave unprotected, receptive oral sex with ejaculation to a male I do not know. I did not swallow the semen (immediately spit it out), and I rinsed my mouth out immediately. Prior to this exposure, I know for a fact (because I've been tested and had no exposure possibilities for the last 10 years) I was HIV-neg. I did have an HIV-test a couple days ago (neg), but of course I know that doesn't cover the recent exposure. I am waiting the results of tests for the most common STDs, although I have no overt symptoms of any, and will get another HIV test in 3 months, then 6 months. I am, however, beside myself with worry -- especially in light of studies showing greater risk of transmission if one brushes ones teeth within a few hours before oral sex, and if one drinks beer prior to same. # days after the exposure, I developed a very minor sore throat, as well as a rash around my mouth (mustache area and upper chin below lip). In addition, the inside of my mouth has had a 'burning' sensation and as of 3 days ago, I am 'itching' all over (but no rash). I know these symptoms may be the result of stress, as I am not sleeping well and am obsessed with the possibility that I have aquired HIV from this exposure.

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered previously.

Please let me know how to make a donation, as I did not see that information. Thank you for your valuable time.

JT

Hello JT,

Certainly no apology is needed for your question, particularly because you didn't even ask a question! All you did was provide a blow-by-blow of the blow-by-blow!

What I can tell you is that the risk of acquiring HIV from oral sex is extremely low. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 1 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be even lower since we do not know the serostatus of your partner.

Your "symptoms" are not worrisome for HIV ARS, but are highly suggestive of anxiety and stress. A single test at the three-month mark will provide you with a definitive result and may well be the most effective and efficient way to calm your excessive worries. Talk to your doctor if you need help coping with anxiety and (unwarranted) HIV fears during the three-month window period. Counseling and anti-anxiety meds may help.

Thank you for your willingness to help others who are struggling with the challenges of living with HIV/AIDS. Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. On behalf of those lives that will be touched by your gift, please accept my heartfelt thanks. I'll also send my best good-health/good-luck karma to you in hopes that your three-month HIV is negative.

Good luck!

Need Your Help Doctor Bob . . .
Anal Sex Condom Broke