please help dr, i feel like a lone warrior
Apr 3, 2006
Hi dr. bob,
I pray that you will answer my question and solve my problem with ur magic wand.
My financial situation has worsened dramatically in the last few months to add to my worries. I dont even have money left to donate to your institution, unlike past.
1. I had vaginal and oral sex with a stripper in late sept '05. Followed by severe ARS. 2. Around 3 weeks I had a grand-mal seizure and inflammed brain lesions were deteced, followed by a diagnosis of NCC. The inflammation disappeared by end of 2nd month after exposure. 3. my lymph % dropped to 25% after ARS and then recovered to 40%. 4. My cd4's hovered around 400-500 (31%). 5. The cd4/cd8 ratio dropped from 1 to 0.9 to 0.8 6. Recently I developed severe folliculitis for a month and still ongoing. I am not even mentioning the myriad other problems like gum disease, neurological problems which started post ARS.
I had 4 elisa and 1 PCR test till 5&1/2 months post exposure , all -ve. I never been to doctor for 8 years before this exposure happened, showing i never had a severely depressed immune system. I feel like I have acquired a different strain, not getting detected by the ususal elisas. Please tell me if my suspicion is unwarrented.
I DONT HAVE HIV SPECIALISTS WHERE I LIVE. PLEASE HELP ME DR. BOB.
Response from Dr. Frascino
OK my magic wand is up and ready for action (as all good magic wands should be!).
1. You've had four ELISAs and one PCR out to 5.5 months post-exposure, all negative. That means HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.
2. You can't have ARS (acute retroviral syndrome) if you don't have an acute retroviral infection! No way. No how.
3. Why are you running CD4 counts and CD4/CD8 ratios when you have no indication for those tests? They are involved with many functions of the immune response other than those having to do with HIV. I would not be concerned about the results you report, considering your intercurrent non-HIV illness.
4. You do not have a "different strain." You do not have HIV.
5. I cannot diagnose your condition over the Internet. (Even magic wands have their limitations.) But I can tell you that whatever is causing your myriad of problems, it's definitely not HIV. Stop chasing after a diagnosis you could not possibly have.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.