Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please - Don't keeping searching for symptoms - Get tested
Apr 2, 2006

Please don't keep searching for HIV symptoms online. The constant searching and assessing can make you ill, very ill; even if you are healthy. It makes you more distraught at a time when you need to have strength. Please take this advice. I had HIV. I really did. Or at least that is what my mind and therefore my body believed after a lengthy and obsessive search for HIV symptoms online. After a very low risk (but HIV transmiting possibility)sexual encounter I was so worried that I may have contracted HIV. My life became a living hell. I looked for symptoms and I found them - in a sense my body created them. My immune system crashed due to the stress of it all. I developed thrush. I sweated at night and worst of all my lymph glands were incredibly enlarged. My doctor was worried by my condition but told me I was very low risk to have HIV. I didn't believe him. My legs hurt to walk at times my lymph glands were so enlarged. Basically my body broke down.The more my body reacted the more I would search online about HIV. I really felt my body was about to write my life's last chapter. I was a walking mess. And yet I still read and searched. I got tested at 6 weeks - negative. I still searched online. I was tested at 3 months - negative. I still searched online. Finally I got my 6 months test result back - negative. My point is - please don't worry yourself sick. Please only use the test results for the definitve answer. I truly had HIV - that is what my mind believed and therefore that is what my body believed. There are a great many individuals out there that actually have HIV and need help. Perhaps after your test results come back negative you can remember what you went through and use your new gained energy and regained lease on life to help those in need. Please keep negative and stay positive.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your story. It's a message that seems obvious and oh so logical, but unfortunately only in retrospect while WOO-HOOing with a negative definitive HIV test in hand. Getting folks to do what you say rather than what you did is the trick! I'll add your testimonial to the gazillions of other similar stories posted in the archives and hope it will help others avoid or escape their self-imposed, completely unwarranted living hells.

Stay well. Remember to practice what you preach.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Mother to child transmission
Next
thanks Dr Bob--I am completely satisfied!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.