Because of You...

Hi Dr. Bob,

This isn't a question, just a comment about how you've inspired me. I've been lucky to have you answer a few of my (paranoid, irrational) questions over the years, and I've always wanted to find a way to "repay" you by somehow getting involved in the fight against HIV/AIDS. I'm a broke graduate student, pursuing my doctorate in psychology, but I just wanted to tell you that I'm planning to start some research this semester on cognitive-behavioral therapy with HIV+ patients, and those at risk for HIV infection. I'm pretty excited about it, because if things go well I'd like to expand on my findings for my Master's thesis and my dissertation, and maybe one day as an "official" doctor I'll be able to help in planning prevention programs for young people, or improving the quality of life for those already infected.

I'm letting you know this because I want you to know that you've really inspired me through your humor, compassion, and straightforward talk about HIV. I'm eager to see what I find with my research, and happy to be working on something that's so important. I'm truly grateful for all the work you do here, and for others like you who help motivate and inspire people to get involved.

I read this forum all the time, and hopefully one day I'll be writing to tell you my work is being published (one can dream, right?) :) In the meantime, though, if you happen to post this, I just want to remind all your readers that if they are suffering from severe anxiety over HIV (or anything else), *please* seek help from a mental health professional. It really can work wonders. I know because it did for me, and it's what led me to where I am today.

You're the best, Dr. Bob!

Stacie

Hi Stacie,

Welcome back to the forum. Your comments really made my day! Your research project sounds right on target, as there is much that needs to be done in that area. I look forward to seeing your work published and I expect to get a signed copy of the manuscript, OK?

Stay well. (I know you will.)

can i woo-hoo?
C'mon Bob..No more BUSHIT!!!