Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

looking for a second opinion...
Mar 20, 2006

I just had my CD4 count results and my VL count. My CD4 count is 495, and my VL is 208,000. Now this is really high! Along with this I got the bad news that I may have syphyllis, my dr says my high viral load is due to the other infection in my body (syphillis) and once we get rid of it my vl should drop down. is this true? i am just concerned about my high vl.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

It is difficult for me to comment with such little information. However, I can advise you that any concurrent infection can cause a spike in HIV replication, thereby leading to an increase in plasma HIV viral load. Once the infection is cleared, the viral load should drop back to its set point. I urge you to get your syphilis treated without delay and suggest you continue to monitor your CD count and viral load every three months.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Exclusive Barebacking
Next
nurses aid with needlestick injury

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.