Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Extremely confused! I am raising money for your foundation!
Mar 17, 2006

Hello Dr. Frascino

You are an absolutely amazing person, I idolize you!! I would really like to hear you play the piano sometime. I am a guitarist and want to go on tour to raise money for your foundation to help out as much as I can.

My question to you is, when a man receives unprotected oral sex and has protected vaginal sex (condom did not fail) the risk is minimal at best, I know getting tested is a personal choice but does this sort of act really need an HIV test? even if the person I was involved with said she wasn't infected? I'm just scared she may not know she is infected, I was only with her once. So in your expert opinion, do you feel that this warrants a test at all? I think if I knew whether or not a test was actually needed or not I would feel much better, I don't think I've placed myself in a huge risk. Also is HPV very common through receiving oral sex? Via mouth to genitals? I have heard many different things. Thank you for your time! I will be sending a donation for sure! and will raise as much money as I can and donate it all to your foundation!

Sincerely, Todd

P.s I have the WOO down to you think a HOO can be added?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Todd,

How much risk any person is willing to accept varies from individual to individual. Even with minimal or "nearly nonexistent" risk, some folks absolutely feel they need a test. Most, however, do not.

Todd, the best I can offer is to let you know the estimated degree of HIV-transmission risk related to specific sexual activities. The decision to test or not, based on that information, can only be made by you. Your estimated HIV risk for unprotected oral and protected vaginal sex is minimal at best.

Regarding HPV, the virus can be transmitted by all types of oral sex, although how easy it is to actually do this remains unknown. I would say it is not a frequent or common occurrence. Warts usually appear on the penis or in the anus, but may occur in or around the mouth and lips.

Thank you for your donations!

Maybe someday we'll get your guitar and my piano together for a jam session.

Stay well, Todd.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV infection through sweat in eyes
Next
Travel

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.