Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP effect on ARS
Mar 15, 2006

"resubmitted from the Fatigue and Anemia Forum."

Dr. Bob - First, thank you so much for just being there to answer these questions. I had a high risk exposure recently (receptive anal sex without ejaculation) and am now on day 19 of PEP with Trizivir. I have a couple of questions:

1. Theoretically, without ejaculation is the risk of trnasmission lower? I know that it can still happen, but am just talking about probablities.

2. Would PEP theoretically reduce or delay ARS symptoms?

3. I have already decided that if I am found to be positive, I will decline primary HIV treatment - I'm too afraid of the HIV drugs to ensure adequate compliance so I am better off waiting until I have to comply (and hopefully easier treatments will be available) - any way, 5 years out, do you think that drugs with fewer side effects (i.e. the psychological effects of Sustiva or the liver and skin problems with Kaletra) will exist?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Glad your question found the correct forum.

1. Yes, not ejaculating would decrease the transmission risk. Similarly, having an undetectable viral load would also decrease transmission risk. And of course, a thin piece of latex can bloc HIV completely!

2. Depending on what medications are used for PEP, theoretically this may be possible.

3. Well, no one has a crystal ball to predict the future with certainty (other than the fact that George W. Bush will definitely go down in history as the worst President this nation has ever had). However, if we look back to where we were five years ago and project that much progress five years into the future, I would hope HAART would become more effective, more convenient and easier to tolerate with fewer toxicities and side effects. Stay tuned to this site and we'll keep you informed about advances in therapy as they evolve.

Good luck with your PEP!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Multiple hiv+ exposures - part 2
Next
resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.