PEP effect on ARS
Mar 15, 2006
Dr. Bob - First, thank you so much for just being there to answer these questions. I had a high risk exposure recently (receptive anal sex without ejaculation) and am now on day 19 of PEP with Trizivir. I have a couple of questions:
1. Theoretically, without ejaculation is the risk of trnasmission lower? I know that it can still happen, but am just talking about probablities.
2. Would PEP theoretically reduce or delay ARS symptoms?
3. I have already decided that if I am found to be positive, I will decline primary HIV treatment - I'm too afraid of the HIV drugs to ensure adequate compliance so I am better off waiting until I have to comply (and hopefully easier treatments will be available) - any way, 5 years out, do you think that drugs with fewer side effects (i.e. the psychological effects of Sustiva or the liver and skin problems with Kaletra) will exist?
Response from Dr. Frascino
Glad your question found the correct forum.
1. Yes, not ejaculating would decrease the transmission risk. Similarly, having an undetectable viral load would also decrease transmission risk. And of course, a thin piece of latex can bloc HIV completely!
2. Depending on what medications are used for PEP, theoretically this may be possible.
3. Well, no one has a crystal ball to predict the future with certainty (other than the fact that George W. Bush will definitely go down in history as the worst President this nation has ever had). However, if we look back to where we were five years ago and project that much progress five years into the future, I would hope HAART would become more effective, more convenient and easier to tolerate with fewer toxicities and side effects. Stay tuned to this site and we'll keep you informed about advances in therapy as they evolve.
Good luck with your PEP!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Odds Of Getting HIV Vaginal Sex Without Condom
- Does HIV Cause Itchy Rash?
- Jock Itch After Vaginal Sex With Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Pain In Penis After Reused Needle Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps After French Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- White Discharge After Vaginal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.