Happy You Are Back...3 months and still concerned,,

Hey Dr. Bob, Welcome back. Happy to hear you are okay. Was worried about you. Never met you, but feel like you have become a close friend.

Dr Bob, this is my third time writing to you. Thank you for your quick response the first time. To be brief I was the guy who went on a business trip called a massuesue for a massage(got more than a massage...ad was misleading)and we had brief protected oral and vaginal insertion. Maybe 5 or 6 minutes total It was brief and I did not ejaculate. I also had a slight irritaion on my penis right below the head. I do not believe that it was from another std. Just from friction A few days later I got lethargic had a few stomach pains but they went away. About 2 weeks later I developed muscle and joint pains. My elbows were very tender and my muscles on my arms and pectoral area were painful. My knees also had a slight pain as well as a slight stiffnes. I also had a slight pain in my ankles. These pains continued for about 10 weeks and then all the pains mostly subsided. Except for maybe a slight sore throat(proabaly from talking all day) I have not had any other symptoms of ARS. I have not had a fever, night sweats, loss of weight etc...(though still waiting) My questions are as follows : If my encounter was protected and I did not know the status of the women and I was unsure of the quaility and brand of condoms: 1)Do these symptoms I mention above sound familiar to ars symptoms?

2)Would my body aches last 10 or so weeks?

3) Even though my encounter was protected if the condom was on but of poor or expired quailty what are my risks of a one time encounter like this? I know symptoms do not equal hiv as per all of your previos responses. I did a dumb thing one night. I was protected (if the condom was ok)but I cannot understand why I would have these symptoms if I did not catch anything. Thank you for all of your advice. You are truly inspirational to many people. Please look for another donation. Hope to hear from you soon. Stay well and thank you in advance

I'll proceed directly to your questions:

1. Nope!

2. Nope!

3. This is such a hypothetical situation that I cannot give you a specific answer; however, considering the masseuse was "more than a masseuse", chances are her condoms were not expired nor of inferior quality. Since the condom did not fail, I would say your HIV-transmission risk is negligible to nonexistent.

Regarding your "symptoms," I cannot diagnose the cause over the Internet, but I strongly doubt they are HIV related. Certainly guilt and anxiety can cause a wide variety of symptoms. I recommend you get an HIV test at the three-month mark, primarily to calm your fears and put your worried mind to rest. If your "symptoms" persist after your HIV fears have been squelched by a negative test, then follow up with your general medical doctor for an evaluation. The symptoms do not sound serious.

Good luck!

encore une fois,
can i woohoo? donation on the way