The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Receptive Vaginal Sex

Mar 13, 2006

Hi Dr. Bob! I am sure you have addressed this issue, but please consider another similar question. As the receptive female partner with a male of unknown status, what is the likliehood of transmission of penile-vaginal sex with no ejaculation? I, like so many others, am in a state of severe stress and worry and, of course, see every symptom possible related to ARS/HIV. Thanks so much, Vicki from the East Bay (kind of your neighbor)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello East Bay Vicki,

The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 10 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, as ejaculation did not occur. Also, since the serostatus of your partner is unknown, again, the estimated risk would decrease even further. There are no specific statistical risk numbers for these types of situations. The bottom line is that if you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, you'll need to be tested at the three-month mark, whether or not you are symptom free or have "every symptom possible."

I'll send my best good-luck karma over on the next BART train. You can pick it up at the MacArthur Street Station, OK?

Dr. Bob

Please Men a yes or a no?
NURSE might INFECTED many med studs - BOB's needed. Over 90 med students' common question from Hamburg.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint