You Are The "Man"

Hello Dr. "F"

I cannot thank you for all of your hard work in the AIDS Arena, but also in the "Worried Well Field"

I, myself tested negative after a high risk exposure 2, 4, and 5 1/2 months, but still have doubts about results as I hear "6 months to be for sure".....Well, here I am 6 years later me and my wife are feeling well for the most part, but every time we get a viral infection, pimple that won't burst etc. we worry....Do we need yet another HIV test to be 100000000000000000000000000000% sure?

Enough of the silly stuff, How are you doing? It is so refreshing to know that a man infected in the early 1990's is now alive and well thanks to our great medications (if you can get access to them). Is it true that they are now less toxic and easier to take than before? ... Is a cure in the horizon? I know...once someone finds out you are an MD, they PUMP you up for precious information....As alweays, my annual $100 donation is en-route

LOVE YA

Hello LOVE YA,

Yes, fortunately the newer HIV medications are easier to tolerate (less toxic) and have more convenient dosing schedules with fewer food restrictions (take with food vs. take without food) and storage restrictions (refrigeration) than the older versions. However, being on HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) is still far from a walk in the park. Side effects, although fewer, are still very significant and now we are dealing with drug-drug interactions and unanticipated long-term consequences of being on therapy. Consequently, there's still plenty of room for improvement with new second generation products. However, sometimes second-generation products, in the long run, don't turn out to be any better than their first-generation counterparts. For instance, Jeb and Dubya are second-generation products and they turned out to be even more toxic than their first-generation counterpart.

Regarding a cure, unfortunately that is still not even on the horizon. I still remain one of the most optimistic creatures in the universe, but realistically speaking we still have a very long way to go for both a cure and an effective/save vaccine.

As for "how am I doing," . . . well, my motto continues to be: "Every day above ground is a good day."

Thanks for your support and donation!

Stay well.

HIV+ person wants children
Condom Breaking @ Uncommon Time- WILL SUPPORT WITH DONATION