Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

You Are The "Man"
Mar 13, 2006

Hello Dr. "F"

I cannot thank you for all of your hard work in the AIDS Arena, but also in the "Worried Well Field"

I, myself tested negative after a high risk exposure 2, 4, and 5 1/2 months, but still have doubts about results as I hear "6 months to be for sure".....Well, here I am 6 years later me and my wife are feeling well for the most part, but every time we get a viral infection, pimple that won't burst etc. we worry....Do we need yet another HIV test to be 100000000000000000000000000000% sure?

Enough of the silly stuff, How are you doing? It is so refreshing to know that a man infected in the early 1990's is now alive and well thanks to our great medications (if you can get access to them). Is it true that they are now less toxic and easier to take than before? ... Is a cure in the horizon? I know...once someone finds out you are an MD, they PUMP you up for precious information....As alweays, my annual $100 donation is en-route

LOVE YA

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello LOVE YA,

Yes, fortunately the newer HIV medications are easier to tolerate (less toxic) and have more convenient dosing schedules with fewer food restrictions (take with food vs. take without food) and storage restrictions (refrigeration) than the older versions. However, being on HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) is still far from a walk in the park. Side effects, although fewer, are still very significant and now we are dealing with drug-drug interactions and unanticipated long-term consequences of being on therapy. Consequently, there's still plenty of room for improvement with new second generation products. However, sometimes second-generation products, in the long run, don't turn out to be any better than their first-generation counterparts. For instance, Jeb and Dubya are second-generation products and they turned out to be even more toxic than their first-generation counterpart.

Regarding a cure, unfortunately that is still not even on the horizon. I still remain one of the most optimistic creatures in the universe, but realistically speaking we still have a very long way to go for both a cure and an effective/save vaccine.

As for "how am I doing," . . . well, my motto continues to be: "Every day above ground is a good day."

Thanks for your support and donation!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV+ person wants children
Next
Condom Breaking @ Uncommon Time- WILL SUPPORT WITH DONATION

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.