Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nurse that is Scared to Death!
Mar 11, 2006

Hi, just a quick question. I'm currently an RN working on a medicine floor. I recently had a patient that has AIDS and Hep C. When I was giving her an injection, once completed, she bled a bit. I wiped the blood with an alcholoh swab with gloves on. I didn't stick myself with a needle but might have gotten a bit of blood on my gloves before I threw them out. Is there any way that I could become infected with AIDS/Hep C through Latex gloves? I do not have any open cuts but my hands do get very chapped due to excessive hand-washing. Also, once I removed the gloves, I thoroughly washed my hands. Just so anxious and scared that I may be at risk. Am I worrying for nothing?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello RN,

Yep! "Worrying for nothing!"

HIV and hep C cannot permeate intact latex gloves (or condoms). No way. No how. I'd suggest you review the information in the "Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for Management of Occupational Exposures to HBV, HCV, and HIV and Recommendations for Post-Exposure Prophylaxis." That document defines what is and is not an exposure to bloodborne pathogens.

Stay well. Stop worrying.

Dr. Bob

Previous
How really safe are condoms?
Next
Re: Prove it

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.