Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Please!! Need An Experts Advise!!
Mar 11, 2006

Thank You Dr. for answering this post. You don't know how much it is appreciated!! Tell me how to donate!!

Here goes! I had an extramarital affiar with a "worker" 5.5 months ago. It was unprotected insertive oral sex followed by protected vaginal. Condom was completely intact the entire time and was very carefull taking it off. My testing has been thorough through 5.5 months via Elisa tests. Also DNA PCR which were done each month for the first 4 months all Neg.

Suspiciuos symptoms that showed up 2 weeks after the encounter is what prompted me to start testing. Symptoms were diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, very gasy, very dry flaky skin, eye infections, itchy skin, urethra and testicle pain, anus pain, white tongue with blemishes, dry mouth and eyes, numbing of face and hands during sleep, tiredness, lost 12 lbs., no appetite, toe nail infection, headaches, moments of dizziness, light rash on trunk, difficulty swallowing, soar throat, small reactive lymph nodes in neck found by MRI. They all persisted for 3 months. Most symptoms have gone away, but some are still lingering. 1 month after this episode my wife started to show some similar symptoms, but not near as many. After coming clean with my wife she got tested 3 months after our last unprotected episode and was Neg. by Oraquik.

I should be very excited and actually was untill one of my sons came down with vomitting for 2 days followed by strep throat, dry mouth, burning mouth, had 1 dizzy spell, full body rash, then a very itchy rash from the knees down, low grade fever, dry lips, 2 weeks of severe muscle soreness on the inner thighs to where he could not walk and took him to the emergency room. The staff was dumbfounded and said it must be a groin pull. He seemed to get better after 3 weeks, but has come down with strep again and the groin pain has returned. His mouth and lips still very dry and is starting to get dry skin.

Now my other son has also had some problems. 1 day vomitting, large spider bite looking marks that seemed to be in a straight line on the back of his upper thighs and onto his trunk, various small dry patches of skin throughout his body, stomache discomfort, 1 month of coughing which prompted an Xray which was Neg. still has the cough associated with chest congestion, it is getting better finally with meds.

My fear is that during my wifes bout with very dry skin is that it caused her knuckles to break open. They were very small, but am worried that in the process of preparing food or just playing with my sons that maybe her blood may have come in contact with them. This is truly freaking me out with no rest, can't sleep or concentrate on anything except that I really screwed up huge!!

Doc what are the chances of all these symptoms being something else? The coincidence is very alarming.

I am still testing and want my wife to continue with me, but my wife has had it with my fears of this and says I am crazy to think such things and will not test any further. She firmly believes the test results thus far should be enough to rule out HIV.

I read on the BodyPro that clinical symptoms are a major help in determining the real chances someone may be infected and may need testing beyond the window period.

I can't do this anymore! I am losing my mind!

Are these test results conclusive or not?

Do you see a need for further testing? (I'm sure I will anyway!)

Why couldn't I be a late converter if it exists?

Should I get back to life with my family and put this out of mind for good?

What input can you give me in all this?

I am so sorry this was so long and very much appreciate the time you took for me and will make a donation to your foundation in kind.

Thanks a million!! Take Care, Foxy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Foxy,

I absolutely agree with your wife on this one. HIV is not your problem. Fear of HIV is! You do not need any additional testing; however, you do need treatment psychological counseling to help you cope with your irrational fears of HIV and anxiety. As odd as this may sound to those of us who actually cohabitate with this virus day in and day out, you need psychological help to accept the unquestionable fact that you are HIV negative. That's a problem over 40,000,000 of us can only dream of having.

I do hope you'll get the help you need (psychological) and not more HIV tests that you don't!

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

Good luck. I do hope you'll feel better very soon.

Dr. Bob

Previous
DOCTOR BOB MAKES A HUNDRED BUCKS
Next
How really safe are condoms?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.