Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Kind of a Queer As Folk Question
Mar 11, 2006

Hi Doctor:

I just got into Queer as Folk on DVD. I noticed the main (he is hot and what a great loft) character, Brian, has a tons and tons of great sex with hot guys. He always pulls out a condom when he is having anal sex (good for the show - I applaud them), But he has unprotected oral. I don't have as much sex as him and when I do I always, always have protected sex give and get. But sometimes I have unprotected oral sex but never allow anyone to cum in my mouth. My mouth is in great shape. I also like to rim - have my hep shots and know about the other nasty bugs you get from rimming. My question...Can someone like brian really avoid HIV even though he has tons of sex each week but wears a rubber everytime for anal. And Me, I wish I looked like Brian! but I have always had/have protected anal, unprotected oral without ejaculation and unprotected Rimming - What is my overall risk? regarding oral I have heard everything from off the charts to Very low risk. but who knows if somoene has a high viral load and then you suck their penis. Here in Boston, the clinic doesn't recommend testing for guys who do oral without ejaculation.

Thanks doctor, even though I don't know you, I feel I do. Thank you for making me smile - you're a really funny guy!

QAF Fan and little confused about sex risks but try and be safe.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You state that you "don't have as much sex as him (Brian on QAF)." One thing I'm absolutely certain you'll learn as you plow through season after season of adventures with Brian, Justin, Ted, Emmett, Melanie, Lindsay and Debbie is that nobody, absolutely nobody, has as much sex as Brian! I know his last name is Kinney, but he must have changed it, because the dude has to be Italian; otherwise, he would never have had the stamina to spunk every hot studmuffin in Pittsburg every single week! OK, on to your question Mr. Brian-wannabe. Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission in general. This very low risk can be made even lower by avoiding ejaculation in the mouth and making sure your mouth "is in great shape." The risk is also lower for the insertive than it is for the receptive partner.

There have been no documented cases of HIV transmission from rimming or getting rimmed. However, as you point out, you can contract other "nasties."

Condom-protected sex is indeed protective if the latex condom is used properly and does not fail. HIV cannot permeate across an intact latex barrier. No way. No how.

So can someone like Brian have nonstop sex season after season and not get HIV? Of course he can. After all, it's HBO! Anything is possible on cable.

How would I rate your overall risk? Extremely low, at best. Many would even say negligible!

Keep watching QAF. They do an excellent job addressing HIV topics, including high-risk behaviors, magnetic (serodiscordant) couples, HIV-positive youth, etc., etc., etc.

When in doubt, always just ask yourself, "What would Brian do?" It's perhaps more helpful than the "What would Jesus Do?" catchphrase.

(Oh dear, now all the Jesus junkies are going to write in and complain again . . . .)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob Thanks for easing americas mind
Next
DOCTOR BOB MAKES A HUNDRED BUCKS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.