For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Third try--pelase respond!

Here's my story--possible exposure in early 80's. Tested neg. in '87 on Elisa, WB, and culture. Now have developed neuropathy, headaches, blurred vision, some diarrhea, and occasional sweats. GP has found no cause. Lymphoctye count at 1100 (25% of wbc) and 1300 (23% of wbc). GP says no need to do CD4 count, as other counts are normal and '87 test was negative. But, I and my wife are still frightened silly. Any possibility that the '87 tests were less accurate? Would you recommend a CD4 test? Thanks for your response, please.

You and your wife are "frightened silly?" Dude, you tested negative with ELISA, WB and culture. You just can't get any more negative than that! Your 1987 tests are definitive and conclusive. I certainly do not recommend a CD4 test! I believe you are indeed "frightened" and I also believe you are being "silly," because HIV is not your problem. Whatever is causing your symptoms (anxiety?), it's not HIV! Counseling may help you cope with your perseveration on an illness that you could not possibly have.

New history in the making...