All Neg!!! Need HIV Specialist??!!

Hello Dr. Bob

Thank you for your valuable time and insight, it is very much appreciated!

My exposure was unprotected insertive oral sex followed by protected vaginal sex with high risk girl. I have indeed experienced many of the symptoms found in the archives and have been experiencing them for almost 5 months. Testing is as follows: DNA PCR at 1,2,3 & 4 months. Neg.

Blood Drawn Elisa at 3 & 4 months. Neg.

Many Oraquik tests from 1 month out to 6 months. Neg.

1). Should I consult with an HIV specialist for evaluation of my symptoms and further testing?

2). Is delayed seroconversion a possibility? If no why is that?

3). Could DNA PCR be false neg. out to 4 months?

4). Have you ever seen anyone with so many Neg. tests go on to be Pos. later?

5). What is the possibility that after all these Neg. tests combined with the timing of the onset of symptoms (2 weeks post exposure) that I could still end up Pos.?

6). Comments?

Doc, I am just going nuts with all these persisting symptoms and my Dr. has not been able to find anything wrong and he initially wrote off the possibility of HIV infection, but he seems to be becoming more and more suspicious now and has asked me to test again at 8 months. Just not sure where to turn or what to do.

Thanks so much again Dr. Bob! Your a huge help!

First off, all your potential HIV risk exposure is minimal at best. Protected sex is indeed protected if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission.

Next, your HIV tests, including "many oraquicks" out to six months, negative ELISAs at three and four months, negative DNA PCR at one, two, three and four months, are absolutely definitive, conclusive and impressively excessive.

Now on to your questions:

1. No. You should see a psychiatrist for irrational HIV fear and testing-mania!

2. No, because I said so. That's why. (Check the archives if you need additional details.)

3. No.

4. No.

5. Zero, zip, zilch, nada.

6. Stop chasing a disease you could not possibly have. No additional HIV testing is warranted. You've had way, way, way too much already!

smoke in the urinary tract
Test Mania