Worried about infections

Hi Dr. Bob,

Welcome back to the forum! I'm not surprised by all the "Are you ok?" messages...you were sorely missed! :)

I wrote you shortly before you went "on tour" but didn't receive an answer (which I completely understand, having been a devoted fan of this forum for about five years now!). Well, things progressed since then so I figured I'd write again just in case you could help.

I had fooled around with a guy of unknown status, he fingered me vaginally and anally and performed unprotected oral sex on me (I gave him oral sex using a condom, so I'm not worried about that). He was really rough with his hands, though, and tore up my skin "down there" so I was worried about possible infection through the raw/broken skin he caused. I was especially worried because, after I gave him a blowjob, he went to throw the condom away and I don't know if he had semen on his hands when he came back and started touching me again.

Anyhoo, a few days after that I went to my GYN and she said I had bacterial vaginosis (which I've had before). I had a baseline HIV test, and chlamydia/gonorrhea culture, all negative. While treating the BV, though, I developed a really bad yeast infection, so then I had to be treated for that too. It was gross, I felt bad about myself, and it really made me concerned that I could've exposed myself to HIV.

This sexual encounter happened on 2/11, so that was almost a month ago and I haven't had any other symptoms. I just wondered if you thought I should be concerned about this from an HIV standpoint, even though I will definitely be tested again at the three-month mark.

Thanks, Dr. Bob! I wish you'd come speak in my city sometime...you ever come to Virginia?

I see no cause for concern regarding HIV from the incident you describe. The main reason to even get a three-month HIV test would be to calm your fears and put your mind at rest.

Sorry, no plans to visit Virginia, but I did just get back from Ohio. Does that count?

Stay safe. Stay well. Good luck.

Test Results
smoke in the urinary tract