fungus ball in lungs

I was diagnosed with AIDS in 1999 with a bout of PCP. My present viral load is undetectable and my t-cell count is 235. I have just been told that I have what they think is a fungus ball in my lungs after a chest xray and CT Scan. They are hesitant to do a biopsy because of the bad condition of my lungs thinking that they may not reinflate. Is this fungus something that happens in AIDS patients or is it something unique to maybe just me.

Thank You! Ron

Hello Ron,

Fungal infections in the lung can occur as an opportunistic problem in the face of immunodeficiency, particularly if you have been on antibiotics (perhaps for secondary PCP prophylaxis) and have some damage to the lung tissue (from your previous PCP infection). Work closely with your HIV specialist. Hopefully with proper treatment this complication will resolve.

Good luck!

PLEASE HELP .. SERIOUS CONCERN FROM LEVEL HEADED GUY
on the female condom