Premed student home access test?? Trying to ease my mind!!

Hello Dr. Bob,

So I gots a question about the home access test. It says it only tests for HIV-1, is that correct? Why wouldnt it test for HIV-2? So a person can test neg. for HIV-1 and still be possibly have HIV-2? I ask because I am getting tested in a little over 9 weeks because I had protected sex with a young women of unknown status. There were no visible breaks or tears(not sure about microscopic tears and the associated risk). But I am conncerned the integrity of the condom may have been comprimised due to her placing it in her purse. All I hear about is don't put condoms in your wallet or glove compartment. Why dont "they" talk about women keeping condoms in their purses and whether it is a good or bad idea? Do you accept donations from Credit Cards?? I'm gunna start a "send Dr. Bob to Paris fund" for all of the hard work you have been doing.

Thankyou,

Jon

Hi Jon,

If you are concerned about HIV-1 and HIV-2, there are a variety of tests that screen for both viruses, such as the OraQuick ADVANCE Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test. Results are available within 20 minutes.

Regarding condoms, purses are usually fine. Condoms in glove compartments are often exposed to high temperatures. Condoms in wallets can be damaged by all the friction.

I see no cause for concern based on what you've told me so far. Protected sex is indeed "protected" so long as the condom was used properly and did not break. HIV cannot permeate across intact latex. No way; no how.

Regarding donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, yes, we accept credit card donations on our secure Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thanks for your willingness to help others.

Good luck, Jon. I'll send my best good-luck karma, but in reality, I doubt you'll need it.

Please talk to me Dr. Bob
HIV / Picking your nose?