Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Another oral question...Sorry
Feb 20, 2006

Dr. Bob, Found this site after an oral encounter about a week ago and like others here am freaking out and frantically searching for info on HIV transmission after having a "Dumb-Ass Attack" while drinking. I have searched the archives for 3 days straight now but can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. I have seen your percentages of transmission from a known HIV+ partner as insertive 0.5 per 10,000 exposures and receptive as 1.0 per 10,000 exposures but I have not seen anything that says those numbers do or do not take into consideration ejaculation. Can you please shed some light on this for me?

I also, like others, want to praise you for the work you are doing here. You are without a doubt an AWSOME person and trust me a donation is in tomorrow's mail.

Thanks for your time.

Frantic.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Frantic,

I was tempted to give a "smart-ass answer" to your "dumb-ass attack," but after you said such nice things about me (even though you spelled "awesome" wrong), I decided to play nice.

First off, oral sex with or without the squirt of baby batter is considered low risk for HIV transmission. Regarding the HIV statistics, what's important for you, and for all our readers, to realize is that they are only statistical estimates, not absolute quantifications of risk. The numbers are extrapolated from large-scale epidemiological trials. Study monitors were not present during each and every blowjob to document each "blow by blow," so to speak. So do the statistical estimates include dues who spunked? Yes. Did they all spunk? No one knows. The take-home message is that from what we know today, oral sex carries a low overall risk for HIV transmission. Certainly that overall low risk is even lower for the insertive (compared to the receptive) partner, when ejaculation does not occur and when HIV viral loads are nondetectable.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit for you.

Thanks for your donation! (www.concertedeffort.org)

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dazed and confused....
Next
thrush and pep

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.