Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Abby, I mean Dr. Bob...
Feb 18, 2006

Dr. Bob,

What you do here on this forum and website is such a great contribution to mankind that I want to personally thank you on behalf of all the visitors to this website for providing such a great service to your fellow man/woman.

Not only do you provide facts about HIV, but I also believe that you act as a psychologist to many, who need to clear their consience as well as get advise. Hence the title of my post.

As for why I am here today, I have a question. I think I know the answer, but wanted to go to the expert for his opinion.

I had an encounter with a "call girl". It was Wednesday, February 8th. I had a cold that I was getting over at the time(sinus/cough).

She performed oral on me, with no protection and then we had protected intercourse (latex condom). The condom appeared to stay intact and no other activities took place.

Today, 2/17 I am still ill. I have a cough and my biggest concern is that on Monday, 2/13, I noticed that I had about 5-7 raised bumps that look wart like on the back of my tongue.

No thrush, just these raised bumps that are somewhat large. They really don't hurt, unless I scrub them with a tooth brush, but I am having trouble doing that without gagging because they are so far back in my mouth.

In researching this online, I found that it could inflamed taste buds or possibly Epstein Bar Virus, which presents itself in HIV/Aids patients when T-cells drop below a certain level. Since I was still sick when I met her, I can't help but think that my immune system was already weakened and I exposed myself to something.

My question is:

Is it possible for bumps to appear on my tongue from a sexual encounter within 5-6 days if someone has a cold and is this a symptom of HIV?

It is important for me to know, because, while I plan on being tested in 3 months, I don't want to potetially expose anyone else to the virus in the meantime.

I thank you in advance for your answer and wish you well...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. What you are trying to scrub off the back of your tongue are most likely completely normal taste buds. Leave them alone!

2. Don't call me Abby in public.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral Sex and HIV
Next
do I have HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.