The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

multiple hiv + exposures

Feb 16, 2006

Hi Dr Bob, thanks for educating me on hiv. (obviously I read the safe sex part too late!). I had regular unprotected anal penetrations from my ex partner over a 4 year period. He claimed he was neg, right until he collapsed (he had, by then, a tcell count of 24). He told me it was out of control diabetes (I'm gullible). Anyway, I was tested Dec 5 and was neg, I'm going to retest in March, which will be 14 weeks after my last exposure. I do remember you saying that the odds changed after repeated hiv + exposures. Should I delay the retest or just continue to retest every 3 months for a while? Regards Steve

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Steve,

The estimated per-episode risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive anal sex with an HIV-positive partner is 50 per 10,000 exposures. This estimated risk is per episode. You've had a very significant HIV exposure; consequently, we would recommend testing immediately, at three months and, if still negative, again at the six-month mark. Your initial negative test is encouraging, considering you were repeatedly exposed over a four-year period and your partner was not on antiretroviral drugs to lower his viral load. Let's hope your luck holds out for your three- and six-month tests. I'll send my best good-luck karma, OK? I'm here if you need me.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Statistic: Acquiring HIV from anal sex and after PEP

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint