Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please tell me...Is there any hope?
Feb 16, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob, Thank you so much for the wonderful work you do here. Your wit and humor have actually made me smile through a very difficult time.

Here is my question. Although I am not and never have been an IV drug user, am a herterosexual female who has not knowingly engaged in intercourse with a high-risk male, I have nonetheless had unprotected sex in the past. Yes, stupid. I berate myself every day. I believe these acts have now ended my life. It has been three years since my last unprotected encounter. Last September, I had lower left abdominal pain, and could feel a sort of sausage shaped lump right next to my hip. This pain still comes and goes. Soon after, I noticed painless swollen lymph nodes on both sides of my groin. In November, I found one in my neck. They have gotten worse since then, with bilateral nodes in my armpits, the front, sides and back of my neck, and in my thighs. The nodes not only increase in number, but some have been increasing in size. None are larger than a lima bean, and except for one under my jaw, none cause pain except for a general sort of ache (but are not painful to the touch unless I apply a lot of pressure). I have been all over the internet hoping this could be anything but HIV, and the findings are not encouraging. I can't imagine it's related to mono, since it's been going on for so long without other related symptoms. In fact, I don't seem to have any other symptoms at all.

Please tell me...could this realistically be anything other than HIV? If so, what? I know I need to get tested, and I will, and it is what it is and my burying my head in the sand won't change things, but I have to know if there is even a glimmer of hope.

Thank you for your time, sir.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'll be brief, as you can find many similar stories already posted in the archives. (Have a look!) I'll proceed directly to your specific questions:

1. Could this be anything other than HIV? Yes and most likely it is!

2. If so, what? I could list several hundred possibilities, but to do so would be a waste of time.

3. I agree: burying your head in the sand won't change things.

Rather than spending time "all over the Internet," just go get tested. Yes, there is much more than a "glimmer of hope." A quick read through the archives should convince you of that.

I'll be waiting for your "Oh my God, Dr. Bob, I can't believe it! I'm negative! I'm negative! I'm really, really negative!!! Blah, blah, blah . . . ."

Good luck. I'm quite sure I'll be hearing from you very soon.

Dr. Bob

Previous
theuse of PEP after condom broke
Next
My new boyfriend is Positve

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.