Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Finally had a test
Feb 15, 2006

Having just come back South Africa where I was bombarded with adverts saying "Get tested", "Know your status" etc. A little gremlin at the back of my mind began telling me, having had a few unprotected encounters (of the lowest risk kind) back in the day, that I could have HIV.

The worst part was I am due to get married this year and was terrified that not knowing my status, I had given it to my fiancee.

This got to the point where I was freaking out so bad I was racking my memory banks for times I got ill and when she got ill, and did it coincide with us sleeping together for the first time etc. I started thinking about swollen glands and colds etc to the point where I had pretty much convinced myself I had it.

What I wanted to say was thanks to Dr Bob for his frank and honest answers on this board that helped alleviate my fears to a degree and also pluck up the courage to discuss my fears with my fiancee. We agreed that the responsible thing to do was to go get tested and deal with whatever the outcome was together.

Thankfully we both came back negative.

I can only encourage anyone going through similar fears to bite the bullet and go get tested, as even though before I thought not knowing would be better than knowing I was positive, I slept properly for the first time in months last night.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Yes, it is amazing that South Africa (and just about every other country on the planet) does a better job of educating their citizens about HIV/AIDS and promoting HIV prevention and testing than the U.S. We prefer to focus our attention on "The War on Christmas," "Intelligent Design" and constitutional amendments to protect the "sanctity" of marriage.

Congratulations on not only "biting the bullet" to get tested, but also on dodging the bullet of HIV.

I wish you and your fiancée a lifetime of health and happiness.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Denver Conference... Caragenins (CSA)?
Next
Made donation today- Strange timing of all symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.