I dont understand

hi Bob,

This is a great website that you have going. I am a 28 year old hetrosexual living in Ireland. I was diagnosed in 2004 with hiv - my cd4 is 600 and virus undetectable and I am taking viread,sustiva and epiver. I have never been ill and train in the gym etc etc. My question or problem is this- I have only had sex with 2 people in my life unprotected - both long term girlfriends yet I have the virus- my last girlfriend turned out to be an IV drug user but she reckons she tested negative - anyway I dont understand how I seem to be the only hetrosexual male in Dublin that has the virus the hiv centre I go to is either drug users or gays - some people think that I must have it got it from being gay- how common is it for a hetrosexual male to catch this virus? I dont understand why I have been so unlucky -as I say I never touched drugs or any gay behaviour whatsoever -im 100% hetrosexual. I just feel very down about it

thanks

David

Hello David,

First off, was your diagnosis confirmed? A CD4 count of 600 and undetectable viral load would be unlikely in someone HIV infected and not on antiretroviral medications. Check with your HIV specialist to review your initial diagnostic studies.

Next, even though unlikely, it is need possible to contract HIV from a single unprotected sexual exposure. Being 100% heterosexual is not protective against HIV. Just as "gay behavior" is not in and of itself risky. Unprotected sex, Brokeback Mountain-gay or Mormon Missionary-straight, places you at risk for STDs, including HIV. I can assure you that you are not the only heterosexual male in Dublin who is HIV positive. How common is it for heterosexual men to acquire HIV? Worldwide the vast majority of HIV infections are transmitted heterosexually. Currently there are 40,000,000 people cohabitating with the virus. So you can do the math.

David, take a read through the information on this site and related links. You'll soon see you are not alone. And always remember I'm here if you need me, OK?

HIV test results
complicated test question