Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE Medical Student need your help, badly
Feb 11, 2006

Thanks for your answer! It really helped - I have clamed down a lot now since the patients blood came back negative for Hepatitis and HIV. . .

The semi clotted blood was like a piece of fresh liver, when it hit my face it produced a "splash" I wasn't sure if some of the speckles it produced went into my eyes, I didn't feel anything went into my eyes, am I right in thinking what you meant was: since the quantity was so small, if there was any, I shouldn't really worry?

Of course I can drive myself crazy by thinking if she was in her window period, but I am not going to do that, as I said: your words are gospel to me!

Occupational health has always been bad in district hospital, I feel far too out ranked to complain, so I guess I will just have to keep quite and let it go. There is no lower life then a medical student right? ha ha (Dr. Bob know what I mean). Every time I exposed myself, people just say "you are over reacting, it happen to all of us" - I guess they are right, it comes with the job, I guess I will just have to learn to accept it.

I read someone said your exposure was "far fetched!?" I have only been in clinical setting for 3 years and I have been exposed 3 times! Trust me, accidents happens. If the person who wrote that read this: Please give us healthcare workers some respect, and esp. Dr. Bob; he is a hero who gave his life to medicine! We put our life on the line to give you better health! HIV, Hepatitis, SARS, Bird flu. . . you think it is easy to deal with that everyday? To those worry wells out there, worrying about touching some blood on the sidewalk, just remember this: many surfaces on a hospital ward probably recently had blood on it, if HIV is transmitted that easily in the environment: there will be no nurses/ doctors left! Relax!

I heard something really good that other day You can ruin a perfectly good present by worrying about the future, easier said then done, but lets all try! Good luck and take care everyone!

Med Student. UK

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi U.K. Med. Stud.,

Yep. I agree. You have absolutely nothing to worry about from this incident! Although I do still think you should report that district hospital to the head of your training program, I worry about what could happen to another medical student who, unlike your case, might have a significant occupational exposure.

Thanks for your kind words.

Study hard. Stay safe.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please answer my 100th question!!
Next
nitrile gloves as good as latex?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.