Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Consevrative Woo Hoo- GET TESTED
Feb 10, 2006

Dr. Bob- I just want to begin by letting you know that I greatly apprectiate what you do and want to let you know that it takes a strong person to do so. You gave me the confidence and courage to get tested. So w/o further adoo, here's my deal... I had what I perceived to be a high-risk encounter (sex with a shady, unkown partner, condom entact as far as I could tell). Turns out science is more reliable at calculating risk than my own neurotic brain. 8 days later I developed flu-like symptoms (low fever, achy, mild sore throat). Of course I was infected, it couldn't possibly have been the virus going around the house at the time. Then I had a painful swell in my left testical ethat would come and go. Then came the stomach pain/cramps, loose stools, and easy bruising. I began checking my skin 100 times per day for new marks, cuts, bruises, ulcers, you name it. That white layer on my tongue seemed to get whiter. I got cold sores. As I began to convince myself more and more that I was statistically low risk the symptoms seemed to fade. Coincidince? I started dating this new girl and she asked me to get tested, so I did. The results came back this afternoon... NEGATIVE! I'd spent the last 6 months freaking out and convincing myself of non-existent symptoms/creating symptoms through my stress and anxiety. My exposure was about a week short of 6 months ago. From what I've read in the forum, that should be conclusive, correct? I apologize for the length of this, but I just would like to re-iterate for all those worried that symptoms definitely do not equal infection and that stress can play some nasty tricks on your body. That being said, GET TESTED! Thanks again Dr. Bob. I will be making a donation very soon and I wish you the best.

Your Conservative Friend

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Conservative Friend,

Yes, a negative test "a week short of 6 months" following a protected encounter with "the naughty lady of shady lane" is indeed definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able!

Thank you for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org), kind comments and offer of friendship. All are graciously accepted and warmly appreciated. Although I frequently joke about conservatives vs. liberals, Republicans vs. Democrats, what I'm really doing is just asking everyone to exercise common sense and compassion both of which you are now demonstrating.

I, too, wish the very best for you, my friend.

Dr. Bob

Previous
RE: Moral Support? Please
Next
Will donate if you can help a worried UK girl

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.