Worried to Death Possible Infection

Dr. Bob,

I had an unfortunate situation where I was very depressed for a few months. During my depression, I hooked up with a random guy, who lied about his HIV status and I found to be HIV positive. First off, I never would have done this random thing if weren't for my depression.

Now I feel like my one screw up is going to cost me big time. We used a condom, but without realizing, the condom slipped off. I had checked probably about 2-3 minutes prior and it was in tact fine. I pulled out immediately. I caught chlamydia and am currently on antibiotics to get rid of it. It has been 15 days since the incident and I think I'm going to have my first test in a couple weeks.

Is there any hope for me to come out OK? I've been worrying to death. Dr. Bob this scare has totally changed my life, snapped me out of my depression, and brought me closer to those around me like never before. I feel like I have a fresh start. Do I have a good chance to be OK after this? I've been super worried and I've had diarrhea, sore throat, and recently mild fever. I know symptoms are never ARS specific but it's enough to get you worrying.

Also, if I'm on antibiotics for chlamydia, will that stop a fever or any other ARS symptom from occuring? I'd rather it didn't so I can at least know but I don't know what effects antibiotics have.

Thanks for your service Dr. Bob, and I'm headed over to make a donation at your site. Negative or not, I'm grabbing your hand in this fight against HIV forever.

John

Hi John,

The estimated per-episode statistical risk of unprotected insertive anal sex with an HIV-positive partner is 6 per 10,000 exposures. Could you have dodged the HIV bullet? Sure. In fact, statistically, the odds are very much in your favor.

Antibiotics to treat Chlamydia would not stop or mask an HIV ARS fever or other ARS symptoms. These types of antibiotics fight bacteria. HIV, of course, is a virus a totally different type of germ.

Thank you for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). And I'm delighted you are joining the battle to fight HIV/AIDS!

John, I'll send my best good-luck karma that your HIV tests are negative!

Good luck!

Thanks Doctor Bob
re: homosexual agenda...,,,, double ughhhhh