Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Moral Support? Please
Feb 4, 2006

Doctor Bob, I live in California about an hour south of you. After much procrastination and with support from yours posts and other people¡s woo hoo¡s, I finally went to get tested almost two weeks ago. The results will be ready this Monday and I am really really starting to freak out. It was hard enough to go in and get tested and I¡m starting to make excuses not to pick up this Monday.

Here¡s my background in 1999 I was living in Japan and fingered a stripper from South Africa in Tokyo. I also had unprotected oral and protected vaginal sex. I had a deep hangnail on my finger and I remember it stinging when it was inside of her. I changed fingers because of it. Almost exactly two weeks later I got ¡flu like¡ symptoms, sick with body aches and strep throat. However, I didn¡t think anything of it at the time. Fast forward 8 months. The 2000 world AIDS Conference is being held in Durban, South Africa. I heard a media report that 25% of the adult population in that country is infected. I thought back to my SA stripper and freaked out!! I had a blood test done in Japan a few weeks later (I don¡t know if it was ELISA or if it tested for HIV-2) and the results came back negative 8 months after possible exposure. Great right!?!? Yes, but my logical mind has never let me truly accept it. Could it really be a coincidence that I would get ARS type symptoms two weeks later? Also I have been having other symptoms consistently (white tongue, itchy butt, blurry vision, athlete¡s foot, night sweats)

You said that you are never wrong in predicting these types of things. Can you tell me: ¡Dude, just go and pick up the results, you have nothing to be worried about, I know that they will be negative!!¡? I¡m starting to chicken out, and need that last little kick in the ass. Either way a long overdue donation is on the way. I¡ve decided to donate to your non-profit and one dealing directly with Africa. It is a crime that Bush wants 439 BILLION for a defense budget and we can¡t get what was promised last year for treatment, research and prevention.

Lastly, is fingering really so low risk? I understand the whole intact skin concept, but if someone has a cut on their finger or deep hang nail, a portal is a portal no? Would it be on par with unprotected vaginal sex?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your eight-month test was negative. That means you are HIV negative. No ifs, ands or buts about it! If your mind won't let you truly accept this fact, it's being anything but "logical." It's being Republican!

Yes, fingering is "so low risk." No, it is not on par with unprotected vaginal sex. Yeah, I know: "but I had a hangnail and then I got an 'itchy butt' and all sorts of other 'symptoms'" blah, blah, blah . . . . Dude, I repeat, your eight-month test is negative. You're negative. HIV is not your problem! End of story!

So, although I never said I was never wrong (because I never say never), I will say, "Dude, just go and pick up the results. You have nothing to be worried about. I know you will be negative." Consider yourself kicked in the ass. You're only an hour south of here. Don't make me come down there!!!

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org), and if I don't get that WOO-HOO from you on Monday as scheduled, I'm coming down there and dragging you into the clinic by your hangnail.

Good luck, although you really don't need it.

Dr. Bob

Previous
your the best
Next
Finally a WOO HOO!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.