WORRIED WIFE & MOTHER - PLEASE HELP

Dear Dr. Bob.

I hope this e-mail finds you well.

I think you are a terrific person and doing a wonderful job helping all these people, myself included. Your intelligence and sense of humor are definately admirable.

I will apologize now for my rambling.

I sent you an e-mail the other day and I know you are quite busy but if I could go over my story one more time as something new has developed. By the way my husband thinks I am totally insane. Please help me prove him right for once. (Ha, Ha)

In 1995 I had unprotected sex a few times with an ex-boyfriend that cheated on me several times. STUPID, STUPID!!! Anyway, I moved on and met my husband and we have been together faithfully for 10 1/2 years. In 1998 we got pregnant, I BELIEVE I was tested for HIV then. We had a beautiful healthy baby girl. After the birth of our first daughter we got life insurance. The paramedical came to our house and did the Oral Swab test for HIV Antibodies (Not sure what the namebrand was) and we were issued Life Insurance. Then I got pregnant again in 1999. This time I declined the HIV test because I just had it done with the first pregnancy and with the Life Insurance Test. Had a beautiful healthy baby girl. So now five years pass and I find myself freaking out believing that I am HIV+ because I am having what I believe to be recurrecnt yeast infections. Also in Feb. 05 I had Walking Pneumonia- antibiotics worked great - in May 05- I got Bronchitis - Cough lingered for months, not bad but still there occasionally. Now again in Nov. 05 same thing Bronchitis with Asthma. I was whezzing pretty bad. She sent me for a chest X-ray and that was normal. Cough lingers like before not bad but still there to this day. Also, she did a CBC and CMP and that was normal too. In addition to that I also have had a sore throat since Nov. The doctor sees nothing wrong with my throat. Now to the fun stuff - I have not been to the GYN. in 3 years so I thought it was time to get the plumbing checked out. I went in on 1-12-06 for my exam found out I had a bacterial infection, gave me cream - all better until the PAP comes back abnormal - ASCUS. The office calls and tells me I need a colposcopy. I went in yesterday the doctor tells me when a PAP is abnormal they test it for HPV and I came back positive. He did the colposcopy and took two (2) biopsies. Now I have to wait a week or so for the results. Now I am REALLY FREAKING OUT -as if I wasn't doing enough of that already. Really I have been a wreck. Did I mention the Diareha, everytime I eat right after I find myself in the bathroom. Oh yeah I forgot to tell you about the canker sores - I had a few of them in November and December. Okay enough rambling let me get to the questions. I am BEGGING you to please respond to this e-mail.

1. Since I only BELIEVE I was tested while I was pregnant the first time do you think I can WOOOHOOO with the results of the Oral Swab Insurance Test.

2. If I was HIV+ would myself, hubby and kids have shown symptoms by now? I breastfed both babies.

3. Do you think that showing up HPV+ after all this time is indicative of being HIV+ after all these years.

Dr. Bob I sincerely hope you answer this e-mail and lend me your expert opinion I am in dire need. Please send me your foundations information I would like to donate to help fight this disease.

Keep up the great work.

Worried wife and mother in FL

I'll be brief and respond directly to your specific questions:

1. Yes.

2. You are not HIV+, so the question isn't relevant.

3. No.

Finally, although I don't believe you are "totally insane," I do believe that HIV is not your problem. And if you continue to perseverate on and chase after a disease you do not have, you will eventually drive yourself "round the bend" (as they say in Australia).

Take care of the health problems you do have (HPV, etc.) and stop worrying about the ones you don't have (HIV).

Donation information for my foundation is available on the Foundation's Web site, www.concertedeffort.org.

PEP, p24 antigen
Teens and HIV aids