Friday the 13th.

Dear Dr. Frascino;

Thank you for being you. You are busy so I will be as brief as I can.

I consider myself heterosexual. I broke up with my girlfriend of three years two months ago. This past Friday the 13th (go figure), during a night of drinking, I ended up in gay bath house. I performed unprotected oral sex on multiple men. Some came in my mouth. Penises were rubbed on my anus, but none completely inserted, nor came inside. I would categorize my experience as high risk.

In the morning I started research of potential impacts regarding my actions. This activity made my stomach feel like I swallowed a bowling ball soaked in battery acid, covered with broken glass.

I am currently experiencing multiple ARS symptoms, but fever has not been one of them. After finding your site and reading, I figured it would be best to refrain from any more research, since it just made the bowling ball larger.

From what I gathered, there is really nothing to do except grit it out until April 13th for test time. But, after reading sections on PEP, is there hope in seronegative transmission with initiation of PEP even though I am > 72 hours from exposure?

Could you confirm my options?: 1. Eat more garlic and Vitamin C. 2. Start PEP. 3. Get a HIV RNA PCR immediately. 4. No sexual relations for three months. 5. Pray a lot.

Your site as been the only ray of hope I have found. I am currently authoring my whoo-hoo and moo-xoo posting at the same time. I am vexed, terribly vexed.

I know it seems that people have asked the same question 1000 times, but is there anything else that I should be doing to ensure my survival at this point in time?

Submitted with Respect.

Your stomach feels like you "swallowed a bowling ball soaked in battery acid, covered with broken glass"???

OUCHAMAGOUCHA!

Let's proceed on to your specific questions:

1. Eat more garlic and vitamin C? Nah. The garlic may keep vampires away, but it probably will also keep potential new girlfriends (or boyfriends) away as well, and it does nothing to prevent or treat HIV disease. Vitamin C is less smelly, but equally unhelpful when it comes to HIV. Save the garlic for your spaghetti sauce.

2. Start PEP? Nope. PEP needs to be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after a significant exposure. Taking it now would not be helpful (and may even be harmful!).

3. Get an HIV RNA PCR ASAP? Nope. I don't recommend PCRs for routine screening, because of the rate of false-positive results. Your best option for testing remains the three-month ELISA.

4. No sexual relations for three months? Why? Are you planning on joining the Priesthood or perhaps becoming a Republican? The next three months should be the same as any other three months strict adherence to safer sexual practices. 5. Pray a lot? Hmmm . . . well, that's up to you. Some folks find great comfort in it while others prefer different activities if they are on their knees.

As for WOO-HOO versus MOO-XOO (what the hell is MOO-XOO anyway?), I'll remind you that oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. And as for "penises" knocking at your backdoor, as long as you didn't open up and let them come in (cum in?), so to speak, your overall HIV risk remains quite low.

As for anything else you should be doing to ensure your survival at this point in time, I'd suggest perhaps delving into what led you to a gay bathhouse and to have sex with multiple partners while considering yourself heterosexual. Something isn't quite adding up here. Some counseling may help you confront your sexuality and sexual behaviors that could have a major impact on both your physical and psychological health in the future.

Gay or straight, you're always welcome here. Good luck on your three-month test. I'll send my best good-luck karma and await your WOO-HOO!

does my doctor need to know i'm gay?
a heartfelt thank you