Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

woohoo plus BIG THANK YOU plus donation
Jan 24, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob.

I've written a couple of times in the past three months, and even though i know you've been too busy to reply, i've appreciated your responses to other very similar questions and spent literally hours reading about them! So THANK YOU!!!

I was/still am the medical student who made the very silly mistake of sleeping with a sex worker (with a condom)when things were going bad with my now ex-girlfriend. Initially i was scared to death about contracting hiv, but felt better once i had told her the truth, though it it still played on my mind. Went through similar symptoms as a lot of previous worried wells. Got my blood test done after 14 weeks which came back negative (i assume that's good enough to woohoo, though will go for a 6 month test if you think it wise.) My advice to anyone esle in a similar situation is tell your partner the truth! A lot of worries could simply have been derived from guilt.

I'll be honest though, she broke up with me straight away, but current;y i have not been happier in a long time. So I guess things have worked out pretty well.

I've made new friends, got fitter, and am now working harder towards my final medical exams in 12 weeks time!

Dr. Bob, i think you are amazing and have been a real inspiration and role model to me over the last few months. I hope that what I did with a sex worker will not make you ashamed to have me as a future doctor as well. It will never happen again!

I have made a small donation to your foundation, unfortunately i cannot afford more at the mo, but will donate again as soon as i start getting paid! Would also like to help with your cause if at all possible. So if there's anything i could do, let me know. Even if it's to help answering your immense question load! Lol.

Best wishes, and all my appreciation and respect!

Worried well (fingers crossed!)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Fingers-Crossed Med. Stud.,

Congratulations on your negative status. No further tests are warranted.

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your experience. I'm glad your breakup ended "happily," so to speak.

Thank you for your donation!

Now which of the thousands of unanswered questions would you like to start working on?

Stay well, Med. Stud. Good luck on your exams. It would be an honor to have you as a colleague someday . . . especially if you want to answer some of these frickin' questions!

Dr. Bob

(P.S. Remember to uncross your fingers before trying to tie surgical knots or do rectal exams.)

Previous
stupid uk (i know check the archives!)
Next
syphilis - hiv?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.