Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Your 1 Brazilian fan - Second Question
Jan 24, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob,

I hope you remember me, about two years ago I almost went crazy about an encounter with a prostitute (paid by my friend's rich uncle) where my comdom broke. You said that I should not have worried so much, words that made me really calm at the time, and here I am, happy as ever, two years after my first woo-hoo thanks to you, of course.

However, now I would like to present you a diferent scenario, if you allow. I have a friend (not my girlfriend yet) that I date on a normal basis. She is still a virgin, which is also great, however, she told me that last year, when donating blood, her HIV exam came back positive. Now, Dr. Bob, please explain to me how can a virgin girl, with no history with drugs what so ever (not even pot) can have a positive hiv test? She made another one by the end of last year, which came negative, but with a large white cell count. My problem is this: I already kissed her, having no worries at all (and I know you will say to not worry), however, things are heating up, and eventually we may have sex. I will have protected sex, but oral sex (men to woman, i.e. cunnigulus) is dificult to perform with protection, right? are the odds for me if I don't use protection in oral sex?

Please Advise. I guess not only for me, but for her to, because I really like her, and I sense that lately she has been diferent due to the result of this exam.

Thank you as always,

(ps: how does it feel to have a world wide reputation as the COOLEST doctor in the net?)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Brazilian Guy,

Welcome back to the forum.

Once again I have the opportunity to advise you (and your girlfriend) that you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Your girlfriend's screening HIV test at the blood donation center was a false positive. She is, without a doubt, HIV negative. And her follow-up negative test confirms that fact. The sensitivity of HIV tests used to screen blood donations is set very high to protect the blood supply. This means the test is so sensitive it would have very few "false negatives" (people who are HIV positive who test HIV negative, thereby endangering the blood supply). Unfortunately these highly sensitive tests sometimes produce "false positives" (people who are HIV negative testing HIV positive). Follow-up tests, which are more "specific", would then identify these false-positive tests. That's what happened to your girlfriend.

I know it's a bit confusing, but the bottom line is that your girlfriend is HIV negative. You can read more about false-positive tests and HIV-antibody assays by searching the archives.

Coolest doctor on the Net? Me??? Nah, wackiest doctor here on the sex channel maybe. But coolest doctor on the Net? Nah.

Stay well, Brazilian Guy.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Vaccins et test HIV
Next
stupid uk (i know check the archives!)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.