Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please please put this mind to rest
Jan 22, 2006

Hi doctor bob,

Thank you for your invaluable responses. Here's my story. Whilst on a short trip to Cuba last May i had unprotected sex with a boy i had only just met. As soon as i returned to England 2 weeks later i had tests for all STDs which all came back negative. 88 days after the incident i had a same day HIV test at my sexual health clinic which came back negative. I was wahooing all the way home. i have had 2 sexual partners since then and have used condoms each time i've had sex. As with many though i have now become paranoid (probably from reading too much on the internet) and hate myself for being so. About 2 months after my negative test result i had bleeding gums, i went to my dental hygenist who told me i had a lot of plague on my gums and needed to brush better (she also gave them a good clean!) I also have a wisdom tooth growing. The bleeding gums persisted and then my wisdom tooth became infected over christmas. My dentist prescribed me Metrodinazole. Since taking this antibitotic i have had a very dry mouth, white coating on tongue (very pink at the rear though) anxiety, funny dreams dizziness, a light head, and feel very lethargic, which have all persisted for 2 weeks since completing the course. I also had a smear test last November and now have to go for a colposcopy. My questions are: 1) At the time of my HIV test, my advisor did not recommend me coming back for a 6 month test, do you think i need one? Is 88 days (12weeks+4days) conclusive? 2) is my coated tongue etc related to metrodinazole? 3) am i just yet another overly paranoid person that should consider finding help for my anxiety? 4) Are my gums just bleeding gums from lack of care to my teeth? i have become very paranoid about this as everything i read talks about gum desease being a main symptom of HIV. 5) about a month before my HIV test i took Zopiclone for 5 days could this or any antibiotic interfere with my HIV test?

I did call my clinic and they were brilliant at re assuring me that i did not need to re-test, however i really value your expert opinion and enjoy reading your responses so thought you may help me to lighten up and laugh at myself a little more

i will of course make a donation to your fabulous site

many thanks

a lost mind x

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello "A Lost Mind X,"

One wonders just how brilliant the clinic was at reassuring you that you do not need to retest, if you find it necessary to write a five-part question to me!! OK, let me respond quickly to those specific questions:

1. No, you don't need another test. Yes, your 12-week test is conclusive.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, absofrickinlutely.

4. Yep!

5. Nope!

Now, "Lost Mind," listen up. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. (I saw that on a TV commercial or something like that), and losing one's mind is just as unfortunate and undesirable. So, my dear, it's time for you to address your mind-losing problem. Please do get some help for your anxiety and irrational HIV fears, OK? Hopefully since your "wisdom" tooth is "growing", your wisdom to realize that HIV is not your problem will grow as well (with the help of counseling).

And thank you for your fabulous donation!

Stay well. Feel better, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Where do you come up with this stuff??
Next
=) Dr. Robert James Frascino (2)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.