Cincinnati friend checking in...and with 2 questions

Hello my dear friend dr. bob.

I just wanted to write in and check up on you to see how you are doing these days. I would congratulate you on 15 years now but that seems kinda inappropriate so I won't do it. I hope everything is fine and delightful with you (and your brother) and with DR. Steve (what a cutie).

I continue to pray for you and wish you well. I will be sending my annual donation to your foundation. Thanks for everything that you do.

By the way, I have 2 questions about hiv that I am curious about due to my reading and research on the topic.

I have read that saliva, deactivates or neutralizes the HIV virus. If this is true, why can't scientist invent a way to develop a vaccine or cure using the enzymes in saliva?

Secondly, I've been reading alot about subtypes and clades and I have discovered that less infective subtypes and/or clades of HIV exists.

My second question is this. I apologize in advance for how it is worded.

Is there a strain or subtype/clade of HIV that is of such low infectivity that it takes longer to infect the body whereby the immune would take longer to recognize the virus thereby taking longer than normal to creat antibodies, thereby a person would test negative on a standard ELISA antibody test past 6 months?

I don't know if this is possible or not but he seems to me that if a certain strain of HIV naturally takes longer to go from initial infection to AIDS due to its weakness, then one could surmise that the immune system would take longer to product antibodies.

Thanks for your response. I am extremely curious about these questions and I need your expertise on the matter.

Talk to you soon. I love you (And I mean that in a sincere way)

your friend William

Hi Cincinnati William,

Welcome back to the forum.

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes, there does appear some component of saliva that has some anti-HIV effect. Researchers are indeed trying to determine exactly what the active component is, in hopes that it might lead to another effective anti-HIV medication. From what I've read, the effect is not at the level of a "cure" or a compound that could be used for therapeutic or preventative vaccination. But stay tuned to The Body. We'll update our readers on this story as it evolves.

2. No apology needed. There are indeed differences between various subtypes of HIV. For instance, without getting too technical, one can just look at HIV-2. Compared to HIV-1, HIV-2 is less transmissible (5-8 fold less efficient than HIV-1 in early-stage disease and rarely the cause of vertical transmission), is associated with a lower viral load and is associated with a slower rate of both CD4 cell decline and clinical progression. That said, however, this does not affect the production of anti-HIV-2 antibodies or the duration of the window period, the time it takes for an HIV-2 ELISA to become positive. This may all seem counterintuitive, but that's the way it works.

Thanks for your kind comments and concern. And I'll more than gladly accept congratulations for 15 years and counting! As for Dr. Steve, yeah, I agree totally!

Stay well. Love you, too, Willy,

STD from "pocket masturbator"
HIV possibility and survival of virus