exposure.

Hey Doc! First off, I would like to thank you for the wonderful work you do. This entire website is a wonderful resource for HIV/AIDS patients, those who love/care for them, and those who just want answers. I look forward to making a donation!

My question is about exposure and the posibilities of getting HIV. As a side note, I plan on being tested in a few days, as I already have an appointment.

I had unprotected sex with a man approximately two years ago. He was a fairly new aquaintance, and his status was and still is unknown to me. No form of birth control was used, not even the not-so-effective pull-out method. After it was said and done, a friend of mine informed me that it was rumored he had been involved with a woman with herpes. When he was confronted, he claimed he had been tested for it and he was clean. In that regard, I simply waited to see if I would have an outbreak. As far as I know, I am herpes-free. A few weeks after it happened, I was tested for other STD's such as syphilis. All my results came back clean on those as well.

Since then, I have not been exposed to HIV. I am not even sure about him, but I guess what this all leads up to is what would the chances be that through this one night of "oh who cares" I could have gotten HIV? What would the chances of contracting HIV through a one night stand between two otherwise healthy people be? I have THOUGHT I had symptoms, but I am a little bit bad about the self-diagnosis thing, so I won't regale you with my mile long list of concerns there, as I know you hear about it enough. Again, thank you, and I shall let you know about my test results!

You don't mention your gender, but since you do mention "birth control," I'll assume you are a woman and that your one night of "oh who cares" involved vaginal sex. The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from receptive unprotected penile-vaginal sex is 1 per 1000 exposures to an HIV-infected partner. Your estimated risk would be less, because we do not know the HIV status of your partner.

Good luck with your upcoming test and thanks for your desire to help others in desperate need.

WOW !
Puh-Leaseeee reply - worried well in a hell