I can't get through this...

Dr Bob, well that's it - last week I found out I am HIV positive. I had a one time incident 3 months ago with a random while drowning my sorrows after my divorce and I caught it. The only reason I have not committed suicide I think is for my 15 year old daughter. I am a 40 year old man but I feel like a helpless child at this point. I know that the meds are good and that I have a good chance of a normal lifespan but I am afraid of so many things... whether I can tolerate the meds, put up with the side effects, the constant blood tests - I can't stand needles, whether my capacity to earn my current high income will diminish with my health, and the worst part - whether my child will still love me. I know this is sounding soppy Dr Bob but this is how I am feeling. BTW CD4 = 1000, VL = undetect. I am not angry - I made the choice to have unprotected sex. I do find it somewhat amazing that some people go through literally hundreds of the same episodes and remain negative. I guess I am consulting you for some advice on getting through this time. Regards,

Joseph.

Hello Joseph,

First off, if you only found out last week that you are HIV positive, and now have a CD4 count of 1000 with a nondetectable viral load, something isn't adding up. The first thing you need to do is recheck your HIV test. It may well have been a false positive. Yes, it is indeed possible to acquire HIV with a "one time incident," although statistically it remains highly unlikely.

Write back if your repeat ELISA and Western Blot are indeed positive and we'll take it from there, OK? I'd also suggest you review the information on The Body's homepage Quick Link entitled "Just Diagnosed."

Joseph, let's get through this together. But first things first. Get that repeat ELISA and WB, OK?

SO VERY SORRY DR.BOB
Woooo..Hoooo in Palestine