Still worried about pos Elisa and neg WB.

Hi Dr.Bob,

I wrote the forum not to long ago about a false positive HIV test I had. I still think that it was caused from cross reacting antibodies from a recent Hep B vaccine. You didn't think so, and I'm curious as to why not? It seems perfectly logical to me, and another Dr. on your site said that it was "theoritically possible. I had a second set of tests done with the same results +Eia and -WB. I am a healthy 24 year old, with very little risk behaviors. My Dr. wants me to see an infectious disease specialist for advice and further testing. Such as a PCR viral load test. Do you think I need to do that test? What if that is somehow false pos? Is it possible that the window period is different for the Western blot, and it just hasn't turned pos yet? Thatjust CANT be the case! I have no symptoms, other than a mounting terrible anxiety. It just dosent make sense. Does a persistenly pos EIA and a persistently neg WB mean you are diffinitivly negative. I pray that everything is fine, and it's just some crazy fluke. Should I get the dang viral load test, even though our bodies are filled with tons of tiny viruses and bactleria all the time? Unbeleiveable! Sincerely, Very confused and worried guy...

Hello Very Confused ad Worried Guy,

"Theoritically?" Hmmm . . . .

Look, Dude, one thing we all agree on is that your test was a "false" positive. That means you are negative. Yes, it could e cross-reacting antibodies, but I strongly doubt your hepatitis B vaccine is the cause of the antibodies. Besides, it doesn't really matter. Negative is negative. And negative is you! You are a "healthy 24-year-old with very little risk . . ." with repeatedly negative Western Blot tests (despite positive EIAs). This all adds up to the fact you are HIV negative. I see no reason for additional testing (including PCR) and suspect the infectious diseases specialist will give you similar advice.

I agree you have "mounting terrible anxiety" and suggest you seek counseling and treatment for that very real condition, rather than chasing after and worrying about an illness you do not have.

No way
An WOOHOO needs approval