Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV test claimed to be "lab error"
Jan 11, 2006

Hello Dr.! I've been reading your site for the past four hours while I am at "work" and, I must agree with a previous person that it IS like crack! I can't stop!

So, on to my question: I performed oral sex on a man I work with in early August. He came in my mouth & I swallowed quickly. Since about October, I have had a dry cough and have been pretty concerned about it, especially after finding out that this guy has slept with ALOT of other people. He really is my only concern, as I had a really tough situation with a boy about 2.5 yrs ago and haven't had sex since (i kno i kno! I swear I'm sane...). Sooo, I went and got HIV tested last Thursday, but on Monday (yesterday) they called me and said there was a "lab error" and that I had to come back in a get my blood redrawn. My question is: could this be a HIV+ test result and they are lying to me so that they can retest on the Western blot??? Are doctors allowed to lie like that? Basically, I am freaked out of my mind. I am in a relationship with someone now, and am scared to death that I may have HIV and may hurt him (and even more freaked now). I'd appreciate any advice...thank you!

You really are an inspiration- even if you are keeping me from my work!!! ;)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

No, doctors have no reason to lie to you. Laboratories do indeed make mistakes and a callback for another blood draw is not an uncommon occurrence. As the old saying goes, "Manure Occureth!" (even in laboratories running sophisticated medical assays.)

Oral sex has a very low risk for HIV transmission. I suggest you go back to the lab, roll up your sleeve and feel the "little prick" once again. The statistical odds remain astronomically in your favor that you'll soon be WOO-HOO-ing. Now sign off for awhile before your boss fires you for spending too much time on "the sex channel." But do write back with your WOO-HOO, OK?

Good luck! (Although I doubt you'll need it.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Flu Shots
Next
nobody talks about rimming

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.