Anal Sex w/ Ejacualation - Best PEP?

Dear Dr: I had anal sex with another man. Condom broke. There was ejaculation.

I started PEP 8 hrs after the accident. The drugs are COMBIVIR and CRIXOVAN.

The ER doctor assumed it had been a heterosexual encounter and I did not correct him. I said I had been exposed to blood while having sex with a girl with unknow HIV status.

Do you think that since I was exposed to the highest level of risk I should've been in a different type of drugs?

Can I still switch to the most appropriate combination of medications?

This happened on Dec 23 and today is Jan 5.

Thanks.

I would like to make a donation. But it will have to wait since I don't have Health Insurance and the medications are costing me around $42,00 per day.

Combivir plus Crixivan is a reasonable option for PEP. Whether it's the best option for you depends on many factors. If you've had a risk exposure significant enough to warrant PEP, I'd suggest you consult an HIV specialist in your area. He or she will further evaluate your risk, optimize your therapy (if needed), manage any medication side effects or toxicities and arrange for appropriate follow-up HIV tests.

Good luck!

MY "SEBORRHEIC DERMATITIS" WAS ACTUALLY EYELID DERMATITIS FROM MAKEUP!
HIV Infection Process