The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resubmitted from......P.S Happy New Year

Jan 8, 2006

Hey Doc. First off Happy New Year, and all the best in 2006. I am a Immunology student from Canada, and I had a risky exposure during New Year's Eve. I went to a bar to have a couple of drinks. One of my friend who sat beside me bit his tongue from eating the food. He was bleeding!. From that moment on, for the rest of the night, I only ate food that he didn't touch with his fork. But I am concerned that now, what if when he bit his tongue the blood particles squirted out and mixed with air got in my eye, or if it went in my drink and the foods and I ate it? Or what if my friend's blood and any pathogens "crawled" on the table to my cutlery? or if his tissue with blood on it touched my fork? Please friend's think that I need a counselling in 2006. Would you warrant HIV testing?

Sincerely, Future Immunologist

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Future Immunologist,

Let me get this straight. You're worried that your friend's blood might have pathogens that "crawled" on the table and on to your cutlery??? Is that correct??? And because of this, you wonder if you should be HIV tested???? Oh my, my, my.

Your friend's unfortunate tongue bite on New Year's Eve did not place you at any risk whatsoever for HIV, which, by the way, does not "crawl," hop, skip or boogie-woogie across table tops! HIV testing? No, absolutely not. Counseling? Yes, absofrickinlutely yes!

Dr. Bob

stressful mom-surgeon: blood dust !
oral sex std

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint