Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Seroconversion after 5 weeks
Dec 26, 2005

Dr. Bob- I have frequented this site many times over the last 5 weeks. I think you are doing a tremendous job and i will be making a donation. About 5 weeks ago i had vaginal intercourse with a sex worker, the condom broke but i am pretty sure i was inside unprotected for at least 5 minutes. Needless to say i have been extremely nervous and anxious as a result of this experience. Yesterday i went and got tested. It came back negative. I know this is far from conclusive but i dont know what else to do?? What are the chances of seroconversion after 5 weeks? i dont want to take the PCR test due to the chance of false positives. Was the test i just got at the five week mark a waste of time? please help...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your negative five-week test is encouraging, but not definitive. I agree PCR testing should not be used for routine screening. You need a three-month HIV-antibody test. I'll keep my fingers crossed your results stay negative and you'll be WOO-HOO-ing soon. Do let me know the results, as it's difficult to type with crossed fingers, OK?

Happy Thankschristkwanzaakah or whatever.

Dr. Bob

Previous
neg, results @6 wks. but still feel awful
Next
Please Help! Woohoo??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.